Logo www.CancerITIM.org
Slogan
   
     
 

CANCER: STATISTICS AND FACTS

 
  • Cancer accounts for 8 million deaths per year worldwide

  • About 1,300,000 new cases of cancer were diagnosed yearly in the US

  • Every year about 560,000 Americans are expected to die of cancer; more than 1,500 people a day

  • Based on the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) program database of the National Cancer Institute, the number of all cancer patients is expected to more than double from 1.36 million in 2000 to almost 3.0 million in 2050, both due to the aging as well as the growth of the U.S. population

  • Prostate cancer is the most common malignancy and the second leading cause of cancer related deaths amongst men in the United States.  An estimated 186,000 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2008, and there were 28,660 deaths.  In Europe in the same year, there were 190,000 new cases diagnosed and there were 80,000 prostate cancer related deaths.  The incidence of prostate cancer in Asia is significantly lower, with the total worldwide burden of prostate cancer thought to be in the 650,000 to 700,000 range

  • By 2010, 1.5 million deaths/yr due to lung cancer are projected worldwide.

  • More than 108,070 people in the United States were diagnosed with colon cancer in 2008 accord to the American Cancer Society. The estimated cancer deaths this year will be 50,000. 

  • Approximately 35,000 Americans are diagnosed each year with oral cancer

  • Leukemia is a serious white blood cell cancer that more than 44,000 Americans develop every year. Currently there are approximately 218,000 people in the U.S. living with the disease, and each year 21,000 people die from leukemia.

  • Pancreas cancer affects 38,500 patients each year and the current 5-year survival rate is about 5%. Pancreas cancer ranks forth in cancer related deaths. Current therapies for this disease are woefully inadequate. The cost to provide this ineffective health care is estimated at 4.1 billion annually.

  • Melanoma is the most rapidly increasing cancer in the United States, according to the National Cancer Institute, with more than 62,000 people diagnosed with the disease annually. Of these, it is estimated that more than 8,000 will die within three to four years after a form of the recurrent disease spreads, or metastasizes, to other sites in the body.

  • The number of new nonmelanoma skin cancer cases in the USA is estimated to be between 900,000 and 1,200,000.

  • Multiple myeloma is a B cell malignancy characterized by accumulation of mature clonal plasma cells in the bone marrow, which leads to progressive bone destruction and marrow failure. Myeloma is the 2nd most common hematologic malignancy, with an estimated 19,900 new cases diagnosed each year and almost 11,000 deaths each year in the US.

  • Primary kidney cancers comprise approximately 3.8% of malignancies with an estimated 54,390 new cases and 13,010 deaths in 2008. Additionally, the rate of kidney cancer has increased over the past 65 years by 2% per year. When compared to other malignancies, kidney cancer is the seventh most common cancer diagnosis in men and the ninth most common in women, with the peak incidence occurring in the sixth decade. Renal cell carcinoma (RCC) represents 90% of kidney cancers and 30% of persons affected present with metastatic disease. It has been reported that of these, 85% are clear cell carcinomas with the remaining 15% being papillary, chromophobe, and collecting duct carcinomas. In Europe, more than 63 000 new cases of renal cell carcinoma and 26 000 deaths were reported in 2006. Historically, the prognosis for patients with metastatic RCC has been poor, with a 5-year survival rate of 10%.

     

 
     



1